Sunday, November 21, 2010

I Am A Slacker. Also, Offices Are Awkward.

I have not updated for ages. What a slacker.

I want to talk about my job. My job is fairly boring when I think about it. I work in a medium-sized department store where I help serve customers and do random office things, like staple paper and write on paper and fax paper and look at paper then give the paper to other people. The paper cuts are vicious and the staples are sharp, it is a dangerous occupation for sure.

Anyway, there was a reasonably awkward moment at work the other day. I work reception for the accounts office in the store, and when a customer comes up to the counter I go up and help them. The store was super quiet and I could see one old lady wandering around the displays near our counter, so I kept doing whatever important work I was doing (stuffing envelopes, oh the joy) and kept an eye on her. I noticed that she had walked up to the counter and was standing there, so I stood up and went over. However as soon as I reached it, she turned and walked away, leaving me standing there with my mouth hanging open like a fool, about to launch into my “Hi-there-how-can-I-help-you-today” speech. So I sat down behind my desk again and began mindlessly stuffing envelopes again.

The awkwardness did not end there. Not once, not twice, but FOUR more times, the old lady would approach the counter and stand there until I started walking towards her, then abruptly turn and hurry in the opposite direction. I briefly considered chasing her down but this would mean leaving the phone unattended, an offense punishable by death in my office. As she returned yet again, staring me right in the eye, I wearily stood and went over to her. To my surprise she didn’t attempt another runner, but just looked at me. We stared each other down until she broke the super awkward silence by saying “Excuse me, is this the [name of local bakery]?”. I had to resist the temptation to slam my head down on the desk, and instead politely informed her that this was a clothing department store and no, we do not sell delicious baked bread-y things.

I will update again in a few days. Until then, I will stuff envelopes until my brain explodes from built-up boredom, or I am injured in a freak office staple-photocopier-phone accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment